Update: Virtual Regional Town Hall: Census 2020
Answering Your Questions and Concerns
INFORMATION LAST UPDATED July 14, 2020
The City will be hosting A Virtual Regional Town Hall Event: The Importance of the 2020 Census on Tuesday, July 21, 2020 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Register in advance: Click here. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting. We hope that you can join us!
Complete your United States Census 2020!
Fill out the 2020 Census Questionnaire Online Today!
What is the 2020 Census?
- The 2020 Census will count every person living in the United States through a short questionnaire. Questions asked consist of: name, gender, age, date of birth, race, ethnicity, relationship of each person in the household, citizenship, whether a person lives or stays somewhere else, and if you are an owner or renter of your residence.
- The U.S. Constitution mandates that everyone living in the 50 States, the District of Columbia, and the Five U.S. territories must be accounted for every 10 years.
Why is the United States Census important and what does the data do for the community?
- The City has a Civic duty to take part in the mandatory completion of the census to make sure each person is accounted for to determine how much federal funding our community will receive to best allocate money to help with the funding and building for new schools, hospitals, businesses, roads, and other public agencies.
- Census results are used by residents, businesses, local governments, real estate developers to support community initiatives that not only involve legislative matters, but help improve the over all quality-of-life.
- The census helps with redistricting boundaries of the congressional and state legislative districts if the population shifts in their state.
How to Respond to the 2020 Census?
Virtual Questionnaire Assistance Webinars for Self-Response
If you need help completing the Online 2020 Census Questionnaire, Virtual Webinars are available for Self-Response. These are step by step walkthroughs conducted by U.S. Census Bureau Partnership Specialists on how to fill out the Online 2020 Census and answer questions relating to the Census. For more info check out the flyers below.
2020 Census Timeline
- In February 2020, a series of post cards should have sent out reminding the public/each household to count everyone under their roof.
- Starting March 2020,everyone living in the household needs to be counted, which includes:
- Newborn babies
- Citizens and non-citizens
- Relatives and non-relatives
- Those staying in the household temporarily
- By April 1, 2020, every household will receive an invitation to take part in the 2020
- Census.Participants can respond by mail, phone, and for the first time in U.S. Census history ONLINE.
- Learn about responding to the 2020 Census without a Census ID:
- How to complete the Census ONLINE without a invitation code
- 2020 Census Operational Timeline Adjustments (Due to COVID-19)
- Deadline Extended to October 31, 2020.
- Status of Current 2020 Census Operations
Privacy and Security
- Be assured that your privacy is protected because it is against the law for the Census Bureau to publicly release your responses, identity or the identity of other members in your household with any government agency such as: Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), not by the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), not by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), and not by the U,S. Immigration and Customers Enforcement (ICE).
- The U.S. Census Bureau is devoted to making sure you and your household are able to avoid fraud and scams at all costs.
- To Report suspected fraud call 800-923-8282
- Quick Safety and Precautionary Tips:
- Questions that WILL NEVER be asked:
- Social Security Number
- Bank Account/Credit Card Numbers
- Money or donations.
- Questions that WILL NEVER be asked:
How can you help?
Join the 2020 Census Team locally today and ensure that your community is accurately represented to build and shape the future of our community, Hiring until August 2020. Apply today at 2020census.gov/jobs or call 1-855-562-2020.