City Prepares to Construct Railroad Canyon Interchange Project
Construction is Expected to Begin in Spring 2020
The City, Riverside County Transportation Commission (RCTC), and the California Transportation Commission (CTC) are preparing for one of the largest projects to date!
On Thursday, Dec. 5, the CTC formally approved all remaining funding to begin the I-15 Railroad Canyon Rd. Interchange and the project is now out to bid to begin construction.
This long-awaited interchange project will address congestion on Interstate 15 and in the eastern part of the City. The project is expected to improve the overall safety of the interchange and circulation. Key improvements include:
- Widening Railroad Canyon Rd. under crossing from 4 to 6 lanes from Summerhill Dr./Grape St. to Casino Dr./Auto Center Dr.
- Replace Northbound off ramps with hook ramps at Grape St. that align with the shopping center.
- Add ramp acceleration/deceleration lanes for Railroad Canyon Rd. off ramps.
- Increased queuing capacity on off ramps.
- Removal of one traffic signal, which is currently used for Northbound on and off ramps.
- Improved walkways and bicycle lanes through interchange
Location: I-15 and Railroad Canyon Road (from Casino/Auto Center Drive to just past Summerhill Drive/Grape Street)
Construction Start Date: Spring 2020
Estimated Construction Completion: Up to 2.5 years
Estimated Cost: $45 million
We encourage residents and commuters to be patient while construction takes place. Hang in there LE!
Sign Up for Email Notification List for Project Updates
The Press-Enterprise, "Lake Elsinore’s Railroad Canyon Road/15 Freeway interchange to get $45 million face-lift in 2020" - December 10, 2019