Zoning/Business Violations

Home Based OccupationsHome Based Occupations

Home based occupations are allowed in the City only with the issuance of a Home Occupation Permit and Business License and only under certain restrictions. Home based businesses cannot interfere with the character of the residential neighborhood, create additional traffic to the area or involve employees. The Planning and Business License Divisions are the lead departments that approve or deny requests for home occupations. Code Enforcement assists with enforcement problems. Contact the Planning Department (951) 674-3124 ext. 289 for further information.

Street VendorsStreet Vendors

Street vendors require a City business license and peddler's permit from the Finance Department. Code Enforcement proactively enforces illegal street vending. Generally, street vending is only allowed from vehicles or pushcarts that travel from place to place. Peddlers shall not remain stationary awaiting business. Food related vendors require approval and permits from Riverside County Environmental Health Department. Setting up a business from a vacant lot or from the public property is strictly prohibited, except in conjunction with special event permit. For business license and peddler permits, contact the Finance Department/Business License at (951) 674-3124 ext. 213.

Sign Ordinance 2Sign Ordinance 1The Sign Ordinance

The Sign Ordinance regulates which types of signs are allowed and where they can be displayed. This includes the use of temporary signs such as banners, flags, pennants, balloons, window signs or similar devices used to promote a business. Signs are prohibited on public property. The Planning Department is the lead department for reviewing and approving signage throughout the City. A temporary sign permit for these types of signs may be obtained at the Planning Department. Contact the Planning Division at (951) 674-3124 ext. 289.

Signs in Pub Right of WaySigns on the Public Right-of-ways

Signs on the Public Right-of-ways are totally prohibited by City ordinance. These types of signs create an unsightly appearance and can create a visibility problem for vehicle traffic and an obstruction for pedestrians. Signs such as yard sale, business advertising and directional signs found on the public right-of-way are subject to removal by City staff without warning. Continued violations may result in a fine for each sign. If your signs were removed from public property, you may call the Code Enforcement for information. Questions regarding sign regulations should be directed to the Planning Division (951) 674-3124 ext. 289.