To assist you, the Engineering Division provides Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's) for the following topics:

Plan Check Process

How can I find out how much my development project will cost to process through the engineering division?
Each development project is different a Project Fee Estimate Calculator is provided for your use or you can contact an Engineering Technician for assistance.  When using the Project Fee Estimate Calculator, click on the tabs at the bottom of the worksheet to access fee information.

How does one go about processing a lot line adjustment?
The Engineering Division initiates the processing of a lot line adjustment. The Lot Line Adjustment Submittal Application and Checklist will answer your questions. If you need additional information or have other questions, please contact an Engineering Staff Member for assistance.

What is the typical review timeframe for plan check?
The standard review time for plan check first submittal is normally 15 working days with 10 working days for subsequent submittals

Is it OK to contact the City for the plan check status of my map/plans? 
It is best to ask your Engineer first. They are the ones that will know first hand the status of your map/plan. The City has third-party Consultants that assist in the plan check/review process. For this reason it is best to start with your Engineer and then call an Engineering Staff Member. The City wants to provide you with the best customer service possible, so if you have any concerns with the timely processing of your plans please do call us.

Records/Research Requests

 Where can I find information on approved Street Improvement, Storm Drain and Grading Plans? 
Complete a Public Records Request and submit to either the City Clerk or an Engineering Technician.  Within 10 days from submitting your request, staff will contact you with the results.

Where can I find information on recorded Records of Survey, Parcel Maps and Tract Maps?
There are two ways to obtain information on recorded map documents,

  1. You may complete a Public Records Request, submitting the completed document to either the City Clerk or an Engineering Technician. Within 10 days from submitting your request, City staff will contact you with the results.
  2. You may also view the recorded document online through the Riverside County’s Web Site

Where can I find information on sewer and water utilities?
Sewer and Water services are the jurisdiction of Elsinore Valley Municipal Water District.   They are located in Lake Elsinore at 31315 Chaney Street and the general information phone number is (951)674-3146.

How do I find out what type of easements  I have on my property?
There are generally two types of easements, those created and shown on the map that created the lot or those created when a separate document is recorded (i.e. a Grant Deed). 

Evidence of easements by separate document can be found in the title report you were given when you purchased your property. If you do not have a copy of your title report, contact a title company and order one.

Road right of way easement information may be found on the recorded map that created your lot. You can obtain a copy of your map by:

  1. Contacting the Riverside County Recorder and request a copy of your map; or
  2. View the recorded map online at the Riverside County’s Web Site; save and then print; or
  3. Complete and submit a Public Records Request form to the City Clerk's office at City Hall.

It is helpful if you have the map number (i.e. TRACT 22222) when trying to obtain a copy.


What are the requirements to build a single family home?
Engineering requirements may include a grading submittal, dedications for right-of-way, construction of street improvements and/or payment of cash-in-lieu for improvements, a lot line adjustment and/or parcel merger and payment of project fees.  For information on Planning and Building Division requirements, contact them directly.

Will the city improve or pave the dirt road in front of my house?
It is the intention of the City to have all roads paved to City standards; a few are paved every year at City expense. Due to the large number of dirt roads in the City and the cost involved, it will be many years before all roads are paved. Additionally, every year, new development is conditioned to construct roads adjacent to their project or roads that will be impacted by the new development. If you and your neighbors do not want to wait and would like to pave or improve the road, it will be at you and your neighbor’s expense. If you would like the road to be accepted and maintained by the City, the road will have to be constructed per City standards and dedicated to the City.


When do I need an encroachment permit?
A permit is required whenever activity is proposed within the public right-of-way or easement.  Typical examples of work include:

  • Trenching across public right-of-way for installation of water, sewer, storm drain, cable and other underground utilities.
  • Construction of curb, gutter, sidewalk, driveway, and roadway pavement
  • Water monitoring and extraction wells, soil sample borings.
  • Repair or cutting into a sidewalk.

Additional information about the improvement process can be found at the Improvements web page.

How do I get an encroachment permit?
To apply for an encroachment permit, complete the permit application and provide the information requested on the submittal checklist. 

When do I need a grading permit?
Anytime soil is moved, stockpiled or drainage is altered.  Additional information regarding grading/earthwork activity can be found on the Grading/Earthwork web page.

How do I get a grading permit?
There are two types of permits issued for grading activity, based on the degree of grading to be done. 

  • Grading Permit
  • Drainage Inspection Permit

To apply for a grading permit or drainage inspection permit, complete the permit application, submitting the completed application, fees and required documents to an Engineering Technician at the public counter.  Both permit types require plans approved by the City Engineer.    Additional information about grading can be found on the Grading/Earthwork web page.



Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player QuickTime Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer