Traffic Engineering Frequently Asked Questions

A traffic sign has been knocked down, how can I get it fixed? 

Call the Public Works Department at 951-674-5170. 

How can I get a stop sign installed in my neighborhood?

All stop sign requests should be in writing to the City’s Traffic Engineer. Once you submit your request in writing, it will be scheduled for evaluation by the Traffic Engineering staff. After analyzing your request against a set of objective criteria, the traffic engineer will submit his study/findings to the Public Safety Advisory Commission (PSAC). You will be notified when your request is placed on the PSAC agenda. You will be invited to attend and speak directly to the Traffic Commission. After the PSAC hearing, the Commission and staff recommendations are forwarded to the City Council for final action. If Council approves your request, a stop sign is installed within 60 days of the Council action.

How can I get potholes in the street repaired?

Call the Public Works Department at 951-674-5170.

How can I get my street re-striped?

Call the Public Works Department at 951-674-5170.

How can I get copies of traffic-related documents?

For traffic-related documents such as radar surveys, traffic studies, call the City Engineering Department at 951-674-3124, ext. 804. Call the Police Department at 951-245-3300 for copies of accident reports.

back to top

How can I get copies of radar (speed) surveys?

You may obtain copies of radar surveys by calling the City Engineering Department at 951-674-3124, ext. 804 or stop by the Engineering Counter at City Hall. 

back to top

How can I get the curb paint designation changed for a particular location? (e.g., none to red)

Requests for curb paint can be made by calling the Traffic Engineering Section at 951-674-3124, ext. 804
back to top

How can I get street lights repaired on my street?

Call the Public Works Department at 951-674-5170 to report the problem. You must include the house address nearest to the street light and the street light number found on the street light pole.  The City contracts with Southern California Edison for repair and will contact them with the information.  Please allow at least 2 weeks for the repair to take place.

back to top

How many traffic signals are there in the City?

Currently, the City owns 43 traffic signals with an additional 7 traffic signals that are co-owned with the City of Wildomar (County maintained).  Traffic signals along State Route 74 and on freeway on/off-ramps are Caltrans maintained.  There are 15 Caltrans traffic signals that the City could inherit with the relinquishment of State Route 74.

A traffic signal light bulb is out, how can I get it fixed?

Call the Public Works Department at 951-674-5170.

back to top

I believe that a traffic signal is malfunctioning, how can I get it fixed?

If the traffic signal is located along State Route 74 (Riverside Drive, portions of Collier and Central Avenues) and on freeway on/off-ramps please contact CALTRANS at: 800-427-ROAD or 383-4631

For all other signals within the City limits please call the Engineering Department at 951-674-3124, ext 915 to report the malfunction.

During non-business hours, if a malfunctioning light is creating a traffic hazard, please contact the Police Department at 951-776-1099 

back to top


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player QuickTime Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer