On November 14, 2017, the City of Lake Elsinore City Council adopted an ordinance that conditionally permits cannabis related land uses in both the M-1 and M-2 zone districts, subject to the approval of a Conditional Use Permit. The ordinance establishes a specific cannabis business permit and three conditionally permitted cannabis related land uses, subject to the approval of a Conditional Use Permit; these uses include cultivation, manufacturing and testing. Two additional cannabis related land uses were established that must be collocated with a conditionally permitted land use, these uses include dispensaries and distribution facilities. In addition to defined cannabis related land uses, the proposed ordinance creates objective standards to evaluate cannabis related land uses and specific requirements for the operation of cannabis related land uses. Specifically the ordinance requires the following:
- Obtaining a Conditional Use Permit and a Cannabis Business Permit prior to the establishment of the use.
- Requirement of obtaining a cannabis business permit, which includes annual inspections.
- Liability insurance, minimum of $1,000,000 in aggregate policy limits.
- Financial reporting, permittee required to submit financial reports on a yearly basis
- Storage requirements, cannabis related uses shall have adequate locked storage, with the storage identified and approved as part of the security plan
- Site security, cannabis related uses shall have a site security plan. Plan shall include surveillance cameras with specific storage and retention requirements and alarm systems.
- Signs, specific signs that assert consumption of cannabis is prohibited, juveniles are prohibited, and that the products produced and/or sold have not been tested.
- Site restrictions, all cannabis related business shall lock all exterior doors; personnel shall wear identification badges, and requirements of managers being onsite.
- Cannabis and alcohol consumption prohibited.
- Limitations of operational hours.
- Uses located entirely indoors (excluding greenhouses).
- Operators cannot have a criminal history.
- Manufacturing of cannabis restricts the use of solvents and volatile chemicals.
- Prohibition on retail sales and deliveries for cultivation, manufacturing, or testing facilities unless an accessory dispensary or distribution facility has been approved.
- Restriction on the size (less than 25% of the gross floor area) and financial impact (51% of gross receipts) for the accessory uses.
Both a Cannabis Business Permit and Planning Application need to be submitted. Please note incomplete applications will not be accepted. In addition applications will not be accepted without written approval in the form of a signed notarized letter from the property owner. Please note that the minimum application fee will be $24,158.