The City of Lake Elsinore, in partnership with The Community Foundation, is excited to administer the generous bequest of former City Treasurer, Carl Graves, that created a $1 million endowment four-year scholarship opportunity for deserving graduates of Lake Elsinore Unified School District.
Born in Rahway, New Jersey, Carl Graves was a United States Army World War II Veteran, a highly educated mathematics teacher and a steward to the community. He enrolled at Harvard University prior to being called to serve in World War II. In 1948, he earned his Bachelor’s Degree from University of California, Berkeley. He later earned his Master’s Degree from the University of Southern California. After teaching all throughout Southern California, Mr. Graves retired from Lake Elsinore Unified School District. He continued to service his community through the appointment of City Treasurer from 1983 to 1986. After his passing, Mr. Graves left indeed a remarkable gift to the Lake Elsinore community. The City Council is honored to have the opportunity to implement Mr. Graves’ wishes and administer his legacy to support local students’ dreams.
- Three (3) four-year $4,000 scholarships are available each year for seniors within Lake Elsinore Unified School District high schools (Elsinore, Temescal Canyon, Lakeside, Ortega, and Keith McCarthy Academy).
- One (1) four-year $6,000 scholarship is available for a student attending a Lake Elsinore Unified School District high school and pursuing a collegiate ROTC program.
- According to todaysmilitary.com, the Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) is a college program offered at more than 1,700 colleges and universities across the United States that prepares young adults to become officers in the U.S. Military.
Program Guidelines & Priorities:
- Seeking graduating seniors with a record of community service contributions, particularly City-based, and a graduating senior pursuing a collegiate ROTC program.
- Priority will be given to graduating seniors who have volunteered in City programs or events and/or have participated in the Dream Extreme’s Future Leaders Program.
- Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0, currently attending a Lake Elsinore Unified School District high school (as listed above), and plan to attend a four-year college or university, technical school, or community college with plans to transfer to a four-year college or university.
- Applicants must submit application and all required materials through the City’s online application system. APPLY HERE - Late applications will not be accepted.
- Applications will be awarded in May each year.
- Scholarship funds will be paid in the fall of each year directly to the college or technical school. It will be the student’s responsibility to submit information as needed, to The Community Foundation at the time an invoice for the year’s tuition and fees are due.
Click the following link to apply: APPLY HERE
Required form: GPA Verification Form
- You will need this form verified and signed by your counselor prior to uploading to the application.
Applications for the 2019-2020 Carl Graves Scholarship open on November 4, 2019.
Applications will be due on April 17, 2020 at 4:00PM.
Stay tuned as we evaluate applications and announce recipients.
Please submit any questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 951-674-3124 ext. 267.