What is Clean LE?
The City’s Clean LE: Love Where You Live program is a pilot program launched in partnership with the Western Riverside Council of Government (WRCOG) to educate, engage, and inspire our community to love where they live by keeping Lake Elsinore clean, beautiful and litter-free. Clean LE encourages our residents, businesses, and youth to proactively discourage littering and illegal dumping in our community.
What is Litter?
Litter is any unwanted waste that has not been disposed of properly and is left on the pavement, school campus, field, beach, park, or another public place. Litter is untidy and unsightly and can affect people’s view on the value and safety of our community. Litter can be as small as a tiny candy wrapper to dumping a mattress on the side of the street. Other common types of litter include cigarette butts, gum, unauthorized stickers, pet waste, flyers and beverage containers.
What Causes Litter?
Litter happens intentionally and unintentionally. Intentional littering includes motorists discarding their waste out of the window, pedestrians throwing their trash on the street or sidewalks, or people visiting the lake and leaving their trash behind.
Unintentional litter might come from uncovered loads that can easily be blown out of vehicles. Household rubbish and uncontrolled building waste can become litter if not secured by a proper cover, such as an overfilled trash can that is unable to close ahead of trash collection days.
What Can Residents Do?
There are plenty of ways for you to actively get involved and prevent litter in our community. Check out the list below.
- Take the Love Where You Live pledge! Take the Clean LE pledge promising to love where you live by keeping Lake Elsinore clean, beautiful and litter free. Click here to take the pledge.
- Lead by Example. Pick up any trash when you see it and dispose of it in a proper manner. It’s as easy as that!
- Spread the Word. Help create awareness in our community about Clean LE and steps you and others can take to keep our City clean. Share the “Clean LE: Love Where You Live” pledge with at least five other people and repost our Clean LE posts on social media through Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Report Issues to the City. Download the City’s Alert LE mobile app to report, track and help beautify our city. With this app, you can properly report illegal dumping, graffiti, and litter in our community and receive a confirmation when the issue has been addressed. You can also access Alert LE on our website at www.Lake-Elsinore.org/AlertLE.
- Host or Volunteer for a Clean-Up Event. Set-up a “clean up” day in your neighborhood, at school or somewhere else in the city. Or, sign up for our Clean LE Volunteer List to learn about opportunities to help clean up our City.
- Participate in our Annual Clean Extreme Event. Don’t miss this event held in April of each year when more than 800 residents come together to beautify an area of our City. Find out more at https://www.facebook.com/LECleanExtreme/.
What Can Businesses Do?
Our businesses can play a huge role in assisting to keep our City clean, beautiful and litter-free. By taking small steps, businesses can help inspire others and discourage littering in and around our community by taking our Clean LE Business pledge promising to take the following steps:
- Empty Trash Cans Regularly. Check all public trash bins at least twice a day and empty as needed. There is nothing worse than having an overflowing trash can outside your business. When a trash can becomes too full, this can lead to unintentional littering in our community as the trash is blown away into public spaces.
- Keep Your Property and Surrounding Areas Litter-Free. Inspect and take responsibility of your property and its surroundings by checking for and picking up litter on and around your property before and at the end of each business day. This includes the sidewalk in front of your business. By doing so, you can inspire other surrounding businesses and community members to take notice of their surroundings and follow your lead.
- Offer Public Trash Disposal. If feasible, make a trash can readily available in your business or offer to dispose of trash if asked by a patron. If there is nowhere to properly throw away trash, it is likely patrons may choose to litter instead.
- Encourage Others. Spread the word to surrounding businesses and encourage them to become a Clean LE business by taking a proactive approach to preventing littering in and around our community. Also, notify your neighbors if you see areas of concern.
- Keep Your Business Clean and Litter-Free. Lead by example to encourage your surrounding neighbors and discourage the community from littering by keeping the exterior of your business clean and litter-free. This includes spraying down your walls and awnings, as needed, and regularly cleaning your entryway, windows, and doors.
- Take the Clean LE Business Pledge and Post Your Sticker. Complete the Clean LE Business Pledge promising to love where you live and work. The City will recognize all participating businesses publicly at a City Council meeting and promote your commitment to keeping our community clean on social media. Click here to take the pledge.
Resources Available for Bulky Items, Hazardous Waste & Other Disposal Items
- Free City Wide Clean-Up: At least twice a year (usually March and October), CR&R holds a free city-wide clean-up event. All residents are sent an entrance notice and you can dispose of normal household items, sofas, chairs, tables, green waste, metals and electronics at this event each year.
- Bulk Waste (e.g. Furniture): CR&R allows ALL Lake Elsinore customers two free pick-up days per year. Bulky items include couches, chairs, tables, desks, mattresses, desks, patio furniture, and other large objects. These pick-up days are FREE of charge. Additional bulky item pick-ups can also be provided for a nominal charge. To make arrangements for a bulky item pick-up, please contact CR&R at (951) 943-1991 or visit http://crrwasteservices.com/. Before deciding to dump your furniture, please contact CR&R for your options.
- E-waste Disposal: Electronic Waste [e-Waste] is anything powered by electricity or batteries such as computers, televisions, cameras, cell phones and more. It is illegal to dispose of e-Waste with your regular trash service. CR&R will collect and legally dispose of and recycle e-Waste along with our bulky items. To schedule an e-Waste pick up, you can call CR&R at (951) 943-1991. For local or regional places where you can dispose of e-waste, click here.
- Household Hazardous Waste: It is illegal to dispose of Household Hazardous Waste through your normal trash pick-up. Household Hazardous Waste are products that are flammable, corrosive, reactive or toxic such as batteries, oil, painting supplies, cleaning products and fluorescent bulbs. They must be disposed of at a certified hazardous waste collection center. The City of Lake Elsinore hosts monthly Household Hazardous Waste events on the first Saturday of the month (except January) from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Take Items to the Landfill. For a small cost, usually determined by weight, you can dispose of trash at El Sobrante Landfill located off of the 15 freeway near Temescal Canyon. The address is 10910 Dawson Canyon Rd, Corona, CA 92883. This regional facility provides safe and convenient disposal services for Riverside County residents anytime between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday.
Clean LE Partners
Clean LE Business Partners