Lake Elsinore Trivia Answers

Print

How well did you do?

Week 33

On the corners of Heald and Riley Streets stands a lovely gazebo, surrounded by a little park with beautiful trees and scrubs. The fountain and gazebo were built by Steve Coogan in 1931 and a well was drilled by Charles Graham 200 feet below the ground to provide fresh water and shade to the citizens of Elsinore. There were four cement benches, a cement floor and a Pineapple on the top of the building signifying hospitality. The well has since been capped and the fountain removed. Who had this well drilled as well as the fountain and gazebo built?

Answer: Mary Julia Ledlie McDonald, businesswoman and philanthropist.

Lake Elsinore Gazebo
More Trivia:  Mary McDonald moved to Elsinore to find a better climate for her mother, Julia F. Ledlie. She bought her mother a house, which was originally built by Frank H. Heald. Mrs. McDonald also bought a great deal of land in Elsinore including one sixteenth of the old Rancho La Laguna and much of the land on Riley St. She had numerous fresh and sulphur water wells drilled throughout the city and donated books to the city’s library on several occasions, making it a fully equipped library for its size. She donated money for a Steinway Piano for the Women’s Club in 1925 and contributed to almost any cause for the betterment of Elsinore.

Her contributions extended to the University of Berkeley, Pomona College and Oregon State University. She supported an orphanage in San Francisco and the 1915 Panama Pacific Exposition among other charities and organizations.
Mary Mcdonald
Week 32

At one point in the Lake Elsinore Valley’s history, there were at least 14 major crops prolifically grown along with other lesser crops. There was a particular fruit crop that had one of the longest tenures in the history of the City of Lake Elsinore and gave very high yields. It was typically seeded and dried in sheds for export, but by 1959 the last shed on a ranch owned by Phil Keegan had been abandoned. Remaining crops of this fruit were instead shipped fresh until permanently disappearing from the valley a few years later. What fruit is this?

Answer:  Apricots

Agriculture
More Trivia:
Though apricots have disappeared from the Lake Elsinore Valley, they have by no means disappeared from California. In fact, California annually produces over 95% of the apricots in the United States.
Apricots
Week 31

Since the earliest known times in the Lake Elsinore Valley, there have been natural sulfur springs that feed the lake. This was such a part of the Valley’s identity that its Native American inhabitants were called the Entengvo Wumoma, which meant “Hot Springs by the Little Sea.” After the City of Lake Elsinore’s incorporation in 1888, it became more widely known for its natural mineral waters and bathhouses like the Crescent Bathhouse brought visitors from around the world seeking cures for a variety of maladies. Old bathhouses like the Crescent Bathhouse had their own hot mineral water wells, whereas courts and motels that came later drew their mineral water from city mains. The viability of this sulfur water in city mains was threatened in the spring of 1957 by what new water source?

Answer:  EVMWD purchased water from the Colorado River, which reached the Railroad Canyon Dam on April 7, 1957.

Crescent Bathhouse
More Trivia:
The City of Lake Elsinore had a twofold defense for the use of Colorado River water despite the incoming complaints. The first defense was that the water level in city wells was steadily going down and needed a supplemental supply; the second defense was that since 1949, the California Department of Health had warned that the fluoride content in the water was too high and was damaging children’s teeth and that a new water source was needed.
Inside Crescent Bathhouse
Week 30

Throughout most of the Lake Elsinore Valley’s history, agriculture and farming played a crucial role in the local economy. One such example of agriculture were black walnut tree groves, one of which was planted by A. L. Legaye in 1915 on a 53-acre lot. Toward the end of its existence, this walnut grove came under ownership of an individual whose primary interest was in the trees’ burls, which are rounded knotty growths either above or below ground. In the spring of 1957, the gnarled and aging trees were bulldozed and the burls were cut away from the roots and trunks. Considered to be one of the most unusual crops to be harvested in the Lake Elsinore Valley, where were these burls sent and for what purpose?

Answer:  The walnut tree burls were shipped via rail and boat to Genoa, Italy, where they were used in the manufacture of fine furniture. Some of the burls weighed up to 2,000 pounds.

Lake Elsinore Walnut Tree Grove 1906
Week 29

In spite of the many positive developments in the Lake Elsinore Valley during the 1950s, the lake itself was dry from 1951 to 1964. Between the clay bottom of the lake and its exposed surface is a thick layer of sediment that is as fine as powder. During the dry period, this sediment was exposed and dried into a hard crust. Paired with the natural thermals of the Lake Elsinore Valley, this created what issue that plagued residents near the lake?

Answer:  The rising hot summer air created whirlwinds (dust devils) that made their way to the shore and brought with them large clouds of dust. It became such a nuisance that some residents left the valley.

Lake Elsinore Dry 1950s
More Trivia:
The residents of Lake Elsinore were tough and largely maintained faith in their community even through these times, which is indicated by the fact that property values actually increased during this dry period. This was so unusual that
Data, one of the publications of the Los Angeles Better Business Bureau, warned its readers to beware of “Elsinore’s phony land boom.” History has proven this wrong, because Lake Elsinore survived and today thrives as the third fastest growing city in California.
Lake Elsinore Dry 1950s
Week 28

In 1908, twenty years after Lake Elsinore’s incorporation, the Elsinore Public Library opened its doors to the public with Altha Cauch as its librarian. She was a household name in the community and managed the library from 1908 to 1923 and then again from 1938 to 1968, after which the library became part of the Riverside County Library System. On February 26th, 1954, the Elsinore Public Library moved to its present location on 600 West Graham Avenue. It is locally known today as the Altha Merrifield Memorial Library. What were the library’s two previous locations in Lake Elsinore?

Answer:  The Altha Merrifield Memorial Library was previously located in C. H. Merrifield’s store on the west side of South Main Street, followed by City Hall.

Altha Merrifield Memorial Library
Week 27

On July 27th of 1954, Lieutenant-Governor Harold J. “Butch” Powers opened the 21st Annual Soaring Contest of the Soaring Society of America at the abandoned airport at the foot of Lucerne Street. The whole event lasted 10 days and drew in enthusiastic crowds from all over the country to take part or spectate. It was highly publicized, and the Sun issued an 84-page edition to commemorate the event. What type of aircraft was the focus of this historic event in Lake Elsinore?

Answer:  Gliders, also known as sailplanes. Some glider pilots came from as far away as New York and Florida to participate in this event.

Elsinore Gliders On Ground
More Trivia:
Though the concept of gliders predate the Wright Brothers, the recreational and sporting use of gliders rapidly evolved in the 1930s. The novelty of flying without power was still strong in the 1950s, which caused this event in Lake Elsinore to be very popular. The longest glider flight in this event was 321 miles from Lake Elsinore to Mesa, Arizona.
Elsinore Glider In Air
Week 26

In 1954, about 4 years after the creation of Elsinore Valley Municipal Water District (EVMWD), there was another historical development in the Elsinore Valley’s water rights. Consideration had long been given to a proposal that EVMWD become a part of Eastern Municipal Water District (EMWD) in order to be included in that district’s annexation to Metropolitan Water District (MWD) and thus be eligible for Colorado River water. However, when torrential rains started filling the lake again in 1954, voters in portions of the county west of EMWD’s boundaries cast their ballots in favor of their own area-wide district that was eligible for supplemental water. What is the name of this district?

Answer:  Western Municipal Water District (WMWD). In addition to Lake Elsinore, this district includes (all or in part) Riverside, Corona, Murrieta, and Temecula.

WMWD Event

More Trivia:
Until the 1970s, the District's sole source of imported water was the Colorado River. Due to the river's higher mineral content, the District came under pressure to provide other sources of imported water. With the completion of the State Water Project in 1979, WMWD started supplying water from Northern California, which had a lower salt content.

WMWD District Office
Week 25

By the early 1950s, the airport at the foot of Lucerne Street (near East Lakeshore Drive) had ceased to operate and had been replaced by a new airport on the west side of Corydon Street. Originally operated by a man named Gordon Hunt and bearing his name, the airport was purchased by Cy and Florence Perkins in 1953 and renamed to what name that it is known by today?

Answer:  Skylark Field Airport.

Skylark Field Airport
More Trivia:
With the purchase of Skylark Field Airport began some of Lake Elsinore’s famous pastimes – skydiving and parachuting. The Lake Elsinore Drop Zone (DZ) is ideally situated in a valley known for its thermal winds, and the first skydive jumps were made around 1957. Skydive Elsinore, originally named Skylark Aviation, was founded in 1959 and holds the record for the longest running skydive operation in North America.
Skylark Aviation
Week 24

Since Lake Elsinore’s incorporation as a city, its chief concerns have been the lake itself and protecting the water rights of the community. These concerns were often at the forefront of the City’s affairs, particularly from 1888 to 1950. Many of Lake Elsinore’s water rights had slipped away by 1950 because there was no local tax-supported entity to defend them. Residents of the community wanted the City to find new sources of water and to protect their existing sources of water. This wish became a reality on December 5, 1950, with the formation of what voter-approved entity?

Answer:  The Elsinore Valley Municipal Water District (EVMWD). Around two months after its formation, five directors were elected and the true work of the new district began.

EVMWD History

EVMWD Office

Week 23

In many respects, the 1950s were a decade of “out with the old, in with the new.” There were a number of existing buildings and structures that were removed or lost for various reasons during this time period. One notable landmark of Lake Elsinore history, the Aloha Pier, was dismantled by its owner in 1950. In the summer of that same year, a new structure was built on Graham Avenue that provided a modern form of entertainment which was arguably replacing the form of entertainment that the Aloha Pier had provided. This particular structure fulfilled its purpose for many years until 1990 when it was converted into a senior and community center. What was the name of this building and what is it known as today?

Answer:  The Lake Theatre, which opened its doors on August 31, 1950, is better known today as the Lake Community Center.

Lake Theatre
More Trivia:
Lake Theatre was pre-dated by Lake Elsinore Theatre (see right), which opened in 1924 and closed sometime after the grand opening of Lake Theatre. Lake Elsinore Theatre specialized in Spanish-language pictures toward the end of it existence.
Elsinore Theatre
Week 22

After the end of World War II, there was considerable planning, construction, and civic pride in the Elsinore Valley. There was a brighter optimism for the future, not only locally but at a national level as well. Grand Avenue, which travels along the south side of Lake Elsinore, experienced much activity in the 1940’s and residents made many positive changes within that community. The Grand Avenue Civic Association, a clubhouse constructed on a volunteer basis, was one result of civic pride in the area. Inspired by the developments along Grand Avenue, residents and businessmen offered a prize for the most acceptable name suggested for the growing community. Which name was chosen for this community?

Answer:  Ernest Stockton was awarded the prize in March of 1947 for suggesting the name “Lakeland Village”, which is the name of this community to the present day.

Lakeland Village Aerial
More Trivia:
Some decades prior to the 1940’s, C. H. Albers chose present-day Lakeland Village as the site for his olive crops. Though his brand of olives was playfully named Albers’ Folly in response to chiding from friends back East, his business did quite well and the area became known for its olive crops.
Lakeland Village Topo
Week 21

Throughout World War II, the Lake Elsinore Valley contributed to the war effort in many ways that have already been highlighted. From May 1943 to September 1945, the Douglas Aircraft Corporation was a very significant employer in the area and at one point employed about 500 workers with crews rotating in three shifts. In the summer of 1945, when the war was coming to a close, the workforce at the Douglas Aircraft Corporation had dwindled to around 100 workers and soon after shut down permanently. What group of people in the Lake Elsinore Valley were employed for the first time to supplement the workforce at the Douglas Aircraft Corporation?

Answer:  Women were taught to operate drill presses, and for the first time in their lives they went off to work wearing pants and carrying lunch buckets.

WWII Women Workforce
WWII Women Workforce
Week 20

Lake Elsinore has long been home to extreme sports, which have evolved through the years yet remained in the area. During the 1920’s and 1930’s, which was the heyday of Lake Elsinore, there were glamorous boat racing events that drew people from all over Southern California. In spite of World War II raging overseas and the many young men that were gone because of it, extreme sports persisted to be the norm in Lake Elsinore. Though lacking its former glory, boat racing remained popular even during the war, and races were again held in the summer of 1942. From the late 1930’s onward, however, the popularity of boat racing waned in favor of what newer watersport?

Answer:  Water skiing, which was officially invented by Ralph Samuelson in 1922, rose to greater prominence in Lake Elsinore during World War II.

Lake Elsinore Boat Racing 1920s
More Trivia:
One individual who contributed to water skiing in Lake Elsinore was a man by the name of Fred Ashbridge. Formerly a boat builder, he took up water skiing in 1936 and made his own skis. He is credited with building one of the first ski jumps in Lake Elsinore in 1942. Fred Ashbridge spent the rest of his life water skiing and at age 89 became the world’s oldest water skier, though the record was later broken.

Water Skiing 1940s

Fred Ashbridge is the second skier from the right.

Week 19

World War II officially began in 1939, and though the United States of America did not enter the war until late 1941, it supported the war effort through testing and production. The war was good for the American economy and is considered to be what ended the Great Depression. Although World War II was being waged far away from the Lake Elsinore Valley, this region became popular in 1940 and 1941 as a testing ground for what aircraft?

Answer:  The N-3PB Nomad, a seaplane patrol bomber manufactured by Northrop Aircraft. There were only 24 of these aircraft built, and after successful testing in Lake Elsinore they were sent to a Royal Norwegian Air Force training base in Canada before ultimately being shipped to Norway.

N-3PB Nomad
More Trivia:
Lake Elsinore’s other contribution to the World War II effort was when the Douglas Aircraft Corporation leased facilities in the City for a machine shop designed to manufacture wings for B-17 bombers.
N-3PB Nomad
 Week 18

As the Lake Elsinore Valley entered the 1940s, the Great Depression was still in effect and an air of uncertainty remained in the minds of the people. Pleasure seekers still visited the lake and mineral baths, but they did not spend money as before. One of the first diversions to positively affect the city as it moved toward the end of the Depression came in the form of baseball. In early 1940, Lake Elsinore built a baseball field on Poe Street between Limited Street and Lakeshore Drive. It was at this new field that the Sacramento Solons decided to have their spring training in late February of 1940. This baseball field was officially completed one year later and named after Nick Matich, who was the City Mayor at the time. What was the name of this baseball field then and what is it known as today?

Answer:  Originally known as Nick Matich Field, today it is known as Swick & Matich Park.

Swick & Matich Park
More Trivia:
The baseball field was renamed to Swick & Matich Park in 1971 in honor of Walt Swick, who was an active force in the City’s youth sports programs. A need for additional parks arose as children’s sports became more popular, and today the City is home to 18 developed parks that can be used for a wide variety of outdoor activities.

Canyon Hills Park
Lake Elsinore's newest park
Canyon Hills Community Park

 Week 17

Shortly after founding the community of Alberhill in 1886, C. H. Albers and J. H. Hill founded two separate companies that would soon merge into one. This company required so much manpower that it quickly became the most important industry in the Lake Elsinore Valley, to be rivaled only by the Los Angeles Brick Company. In large part due to this company, the Lake Elsinore Valley was sustained throughout the dry years, war years, and the Great Depression. What is the name of this company, and what is it known as today?

Answer:  Alberhill Coal & Clay Company. This company dwindled out of existence after the Great Depression and the Los Angeles Brick Company continued in its place until 1963, when the whole site was purchased by the current owner, Pacific Clay Products.

Alberhill Mine

Alberhill Workers

More Trivia:
During its existence, the Alberhill Coal & Clay Company sold clay to the Los Angeles Brick Company in addition to constructing buildings near and far. The Los Angeles Brick Company built many of the original buildings in Los Angeles, including UCLA’s Royce Hall and Powell Library
.

Alberhill Mine Today

 Week 16

By the year 1936, the Great Depression was in full swing in the Lake Elsinore Valley and throughout the nation. Rail service through the area had been discontinued in favor of new highways and the publicity that Lake Elsinore previously enjoyed had mostly come to an end. During this year, the lake had all but dried up. Fortunately, the mining industries in Lake Elsinore experienced renewed activity at this time and olive harvesting once again became popular since importing olive oil was no longer as economically feasible. In a stroke of good fortune, the latter part of 1936 until the summer of 1937 saw unusual amounts of rain. All of this rain resulted in Lake Elsinore reaching what historically high water level mark?

Answer: Lake Elsinore reached a height of 1,251 feet above sea level. The lake expanded from 8,000 acre feet to over 92,000 acre feet and stretched almost from Riverside Drive in the north to Corydon Street in the south to Mission Trail in the east.

Dry Lake
More Trivia:
Prior to the construction of a dike on the east side of Lake Elsinore and the purchase of water from the Metropolitan Water District some decades later, the lake naturally fluctuated from being bone dry to overflowing its boundaries. It was during the 1930s that the need for managing the lake’s water level became apparent and plans were set into motion, though they were delayed for many years.
Flooded Lake

Happy Birthday Lake Elsinore

Incorporated April 9, 1888

125th Logo

 Week 15

The City of Lake Elsinore, incorporated on April 9th, 1888, is the second oldest city in Riverside County. For the first five years Elsinore was part of San Diego County. Riverside County was not established until 1893. Two weeks after the City’s incorporation, the Elsinore Board of Trustees held its first meeting to pass ordinances and restrictions to guide the new City into a profitable future. In the months to come, ordinances would be established that outlawed slingshots, prohibited the firing of guns anywhere outside shooting galleries, and did not tolerate “tippling houses”, “dram shops” or any other social vulgarities of the time. Excessive speed was already a concern at that time and the Board passed a speed limit law. Do you know what maximum speed limit was for the City of Lake Elsinore in 1888?

Answer:  Seven miles per hour. The speed was further reduced to a walking pace on bridges.

Founders

Founders Franklin Heald,
Donald Graham, William Collier
and
Margaret Collier-Graham

 Week 14

In late 1933, Senator William G. McAdoo announced plans for the construction of a new City Hall. The cost of the project, covered by federally appropriated funds and voter approved bonds, came out to a sum of $15,000. Construction began immediately and on July 7, 1934, the completed City Hall was dedicated with a barbeque and a parade down Main Street. Located at 130 South Main Street, the City Hall continues to serve the citizens of Lake Elsinore to the present day. What special occasion was City Hall built to commemorate?

Answer:  The City’s Golden 50th Anniversary.

City Hall 1934
More Trivia: Prior to the present City Hall’s construction, city business was conducted in four successive locations. The first recorded meetings of the City Council were held on the second floor of the Consolidated Bank Building, which was located on Main Street and Prospect. The first move was to a store room at the corner of Main Street and Graham Avenue next to Sterling Pharmacy. The second move was to a small building on the site of the present city hall, which the City outgrew by 1926. The final move before the completion of the new City Hall was to a former bank building on Main Street. Consolidated Bank Building
 Week 13

Since the 1770's, a road has existed that connects San Juan Capistrano and Lake Elsinore. Until the late 1920's, however, the road was a tortuous and difficult journey that few traveled. Construction of a new highway connecting the two areas began on May 12, 1929, but was fraught with delays until Riverside and Orange Counties joined with the State in financing the project. The Ortega Highway was completed in August of 1933 and given its name by Rev. St. John O’Sullivan of San Juan Capistrano Mission. What historical figure is the highway named after?

Answer:  Don José Francisco Ortega. Ortega was one of the members of the Portolá expedition, which was the first Spanish (and European) land exploration of present-day California. This company of 64 men traveled from San Diego to the San Francisco Bay back in 1769 and included Father Junípero Serra, who is famous for establishing California’s chain of missions.

Ortega Hwy Horseback circa 1917
More Trivia:  In a ceremony, preceded by an elaborate barbecue dinner, 800 persons vitally interested in the building of the Elsinore-San Juan Capistrano Highway-to-the-Sea, witnessed the ground breaking of the mountain unit, at San Juan Capistrano (June 1929). 
In August 1933, the Ortega Highway dedication ceremonies were held at Jameson Point overlooking Lake Elsinore.
Ortega Hwy Planners circa 1930
 Week 12

In early 1924, Clevelin Realty Corp. began construction on the Southern California Athletic and Country Club. The Club was meant to cater to the wealthy and famous personalities of the 1920s. Originally designed to contain 300 sleeping rooms, it was reduced to 40 rooms with the finest appointments money could buy. Although the facilities were completed, the Country Club never opened due to financial problems and the coming Depression. Nine years later, it was purchased by Major Glen Conklin and Captain P.A. Jones and eventually given what name as it is known by today?

Answer:  The Elsinore Naval and Military School

Naval Academy
More Trivia:  The School served grades 1 through 12 for 43 years until Major Glen Conklin’s death in 1977. Sons of some notable people attended the school through the years, Bela Lugosi, Brian Keith, and Barbara Rush' to name a few. Spencer Tracy’s wife frequently played polo at the school as well as attended many of the parades in the '40s and '50s. Naval & Military Academy2
 Week 11

The Elsinore Fire Department was formed in 1890 with a horse-drawn cart and 500 feet of hose. The first Fire House was a wooden building next to City Hall on Main St. In 1925 Elsinore was in need of a new fire engine. The town could not afford one on its own so residents raised the remaining $3,000 of the $8,500 needed to purchase an American La France fire engine. How long was Elsinore Fire Engine No. 1 in service?

Answer:  It was in service for 62 years.

Fire House
More Trivia:  There were only 3 of these engines ever made and the Elsinore engine is the only one left in existence. Today the engine has been completely restored. A copy of the original equipment list showing every nut and bolt used in its assembly was given to the men who performed the restoration. Fire Truck
 Week 10

In the first half of the 1900’s, Elsinore was a popular hang-out for Hollywood stars and celebrities, many of whom built getaways in the hills surrounding the lake. What famous castle was built during this time that still stands today? Who was it built by?

Answer:  Aimee's Castle, a unique Moorish styled house, was built by Aimee Semple McPherson, a Canadian-American evangelist and media celebrity in the 1920s and 1930s. She founded the Foursquare Church, was a pioneer in the use of modern media, especially radio, and was the second woman to be granted a broadcast license.

Aimee's Castle
More Trivia:  Clevelin Realty Corp. purchased land in Lake Elsinore's Country Club Heights District,  marketing the area as a resort destination for the rich and famous. To encourage celebrities to purchase there, the developers offered to give McPherson a parcel of land featuring panoramic views of the lake. She accepted the land and in 1929 commissioned the architect Edwin Bickman to design her home. Clevelin Development Co
 Week 9

This week the First Christian Church, on the corner of Heald Avenue and Poe Street, received historical recognition. The Valley of the Mist chapter of the National Society of Colonial Dames XVII Century placed a commemorative plaque to honor the structure’s long history. Built between 1887 and 1888, the church is one of the oldest surviving structures in Lake Elsinore. What famous lawman of the time is believed to have attended the church’s dedication ceremony?

Answer:  Wyatt Earp, best known for his part in the gunfight at the O.K. Corral, lived and did business in Southern California in the late 1880’s and is believed to be pictured at the church’s dedication ceremony.

First Christian Church
More Trivia:  Other buildings that have received historical recognitions are The Chimes, originally built as the Crescent Bath House around 1887, the old Santa Fe train depot built in 1896, and the Cultural Center, built as a Methodist church between 1923 and 1924. Historic Buildings
 Week 8

During the early 1900s, Elsinore hosted many Hollywood stars and popular personages, such as President Grover Cleveland, Clark Gable and Carole Lombard, Buffalo Bill, Andy Devine and Lillian Russell. The rich and famous came to play in Lake Elsinore, many of whom kept vacation homes and bungalows at the lake. A favorite spot to hangout was the popular Aloha Pier, which stretched out into the lake and was the site of weekend dances for more than two decades. The pier was built in 1926 by what company?

Answer:The Aloha Pier was built by the Clevelin Development Co., which had purchased land in Lake Elsinore's Country Club Heights District and was marketing the area as a resort destination for the rich and famous.

Aloha Pier
More Trivia: On Turner Classic Movie Channel, a short, one reel film called “Water Babies” was filmed entirely on Lake Elsinore and showcases its pier and country club as well as the boat races and early water skiers and water landings by planes.

Boat Races on Lake Elsinore
 Week 7

In February of 1918, most of the Country’s thoughts were on World War 1; the US had declared war on Germany April 6, 1917, less than a year earlier. But on February 15th, the” Press” headlines announced the news that Elsinore had awarded a contract for its very first pavement project. What were the first streets to be paved in Elsinore?

Answer: Main Street was paved from Heald to Limited Avenues and Graham Avenue was paved from Main to Spring Streets.  During this time the Santa Fe service was cut down to one train a day.

1020's Main St.

More Trivia: In this same month an announcement was made that a contract had been let for buildings at the aviation school at Allesandro. That "aviation school" would later become March Airforce Base.

March Airforce Base 1938
 Week 6

In the early days, Elsinore was known for its olives, among other crops. This was due in large to a young man named Albers, from St. Louis, Missouri. When Albers set out one hundred and thirty-five acres of his 442 acre ranch to olives, his friends pronounced the proposition a foolish one and jokingly referred his venture as what?  The olive orchard proved a greater success than even Albers had anticipated and as sort of a reminder to his detractors, Mr. Albers tossed his friends’ joke back at them by successfully marketing his product under that very brand name.

Answer:  Albers marketed his product under the brand "Albers Folly".

Olive Trees
More Trivia:  C. H. Albers, whose name was incorporated into the name Alberhill, died in 1912. His Lakeland Ranch was sold for $100,000 and was touted in the Press as the valley’s most important industry. Farming remained one of the valley’s most important industries well in the middle of the century. Agriculture
 Week 5

After the Southern California Railway tracks were washed out for a third time in 1891, the tracks were abandoned. With no rail connection to the County seat in San Diego, a long journey by wagon or horseback was necessary to transact county business. Demand rose for a new county and Riverside County, almost as large as the state of Massachusetts, was carved out of San Diego and San Bernardino Counties in what year?

Answer:  The County of Riverside was incorporated in the year 1893.

Riverside County Map
More Trivia: In that same year the Cleveland National Forest was established, formed from several smaller forest preserves. Cleveland National Forest
 Week 4

In 1887 Franklin Heald, with professional builder Frank Ferris, began construction on the Cresent Bath House, proclaimed to be the finest in all California. The cost of the building alone was estimated at $10,000 and was constructed in what style, which was popular during the Victorian era?

Answer:  It was a Moorish-style facility.  Everything in and about the building was suggestive of Oriental luxury, even the colors of the decorations and carpets were imitations of Turkish colors.

Chimes
More Trivia:  When it later became an adjunct of the Lake View Hotel its name was changed to the Lake View Bath House. Years later it became an antique store and the name was changed to the Chimes, as it is known today. In 1976 it was designated as a National Historical Place. Chimes today
 Week 3

Armory Hall was constructed in 1887 and is located on the corner of Main St. and Franklin St. On January 29, 1992  Armory Hall was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. What Veterans’ organization met in the Armory Hall?

Answer:  It was a local post of the Grand Army of the Republic, a national Civil War Veterans’ organization. 

More Trivia - The last Civil War Union Soldier survivor in Elsinore was Pvt. Abijah W. “Daddy” Davis who died in 1942. He was born on July 14, 1846 and enlisted in the army at the age of 16, in Company B, 74 Pennsylvania Infantry.

Armory Hall
 Week 2

In 1858 Rancho La Laguna, as it was now called, was purchased by Juan Machado. The “Machado Adobe”, as it is called today, was used as a stop along what famous mail route until the War Between the States put a stop to the mail service in 1861?

Answer:  Butterfield Overland Mail Trail

Butterfield Stage Coach
 Week 1     

The Luiseno Indians are the earliest known inhabitants of Lake Elsinore. They called the lake "Entengvo Wumoma". How does this translate into English?

Answer:  Hot Springs by the Little Sea.

 Luiseno Indians