Buy your Annual Fishing Pass for Lake Elsinore. Please note, you must also possess a valid California Fishing License if 16 years or older.
Rules & Regulations
- Lake Elsinore is subject to the "California Freshwater Sport Fishing Regulations" published by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife.
- Anyone 16 years and older must have a valid California State Fishing License.
- Every person, while engaged in taking any fish shall display their valid sport fishing license by attaching it to their outer clothing, at or above the waistline so that it is plainly visible.
- Fishing from shore is only permitted from 6 am to 10 pm in designated areas.
- Cleaning fish is only permitted on the shoreline in designated cleaning areas.
- Riverside County Sheriff's Department strictly enforces all Fish and Game Regulations on the Lake.
- Please refer to the California Freshwater Sport Fishing Regulations for bag and size limits.
View the Public Fishing Beaches Facilities.
Lake Elsinore is the largest natural freshwater lake in Southern California. Eutrophic lakes, like Lake Elsinore, are typically shallow and nutrient enriched. Add sunshine, and these types of lakes produce more pounds of fish per acre than any other type of lake on Earth.
Lake Elsinore is classified as a Warmwater Fishery, which includes black basses and various panfish. Representative members found in this Lake are Largemouth Bass, White Crappie, Black Crappie, Bluegill, and Channel Catfish.
Funding has been received from State and Local agencies to restructure the fisheries of Lake Elsinore to improve water quality and sport fishing. A long term Carp control program is underway, concurrent with fishery enhancement measures and intermittent stocking of game fish.
All natural lakes are a product of their watershed. A watershed is all the land that drains into the nearest stream, river or lake when it rains. Rainwater is relatively pure before it falls on the ground. Stormwater runoff collects impurities as it travels over the surface of the land, therefore land use drives water quality. Eventually, we drink, swim and fish from these waters.
There are 760 square miles of land that drains into Lake Elsinore. Every person who lives, works or plays in this watershed has a part in protecting this valuable water resource. So, help keep the watershed clean for the Lakes' sake!
Lake Elsinore Fishing Report & Official Annual Record Fish
One photo is better than a thousand fish stories! The City posts photos of anglers and their catch to the City's website. Provide a Fishing Report to the City by emailing the Fishing Department. The Fishing Report should include name, city of residence, date, location caught, type of fish, size (pounds), bait used and photo (8 megabyte file limit).
To qualify for an Official Annual Record Fish and posting of the photo to the "Hall of Fame" on the City's website, please request a courtesy Official Fish Weigh-in and digital photo by contacting the Community Services Department.
If you're a fisherman that Votes, then we would appreciate your support on future Lake and Fishery Restoration Projects. Thank you, City of Lake Elsinore.