Process & Procedures
The Lake Elsinore Municipal Code defines "Special Event" as any assembly, congregation, attraction, display, entertainment, demonstration, carnival, bazaar, circus, rodeo, or other traveling show, fair, festival, food faire, cook-off, dance, concert, or performance, or any other planned occurrence that may attract a large number of people or which may otherwise become a hazard to the public peace, health, safety or general welfare. All special events shall be classified under one of the following categories:
- "Community Events" also known as Co-Sponsorship Events - These events are sponsored by community non-profit and civic organizations requesting to utilize a public street, city park, or open space, and are requesting city resources.
- "Private Events" - These events are conducted by private businesses or for-profit organizations, on private or public property.
- "Lake Events" - These events are held on the shores, beaches, levee, campground, and on the lake.
- "City Events" - These events are coordinated by the city.
As the event organizer/promoter, it is your responsibility to provide us with a complete application to assist in obtaining approval. Please ensure that you have final approval of your event before you begin promotion, marketing or advertisement of the event. Final approval will be given after your completed application has been processed, initially screened by the Parks and Recreation Department and you have been in contact with the entities that may be impacted by your event.
Acceptance of your special event permit application by the city is not an automatic approval of your event. The event organizer must complete the application requirement entirely before the City of Lake Elsinore will issue a special event permit.
Please note: Applications are preferred 180 days prior to your event and not less than 60 days.
- Provide complete description of event.
- Applicants and/or their subcontractors shall obtain a business license at least 60 days prior to the event.
- Unless otherwise directed by City Council action, all special events related costs will be the responsibility of the applicant/requesting organization.
- In addition, all vendors selling food or other products must have a City of Lake Elsinore business license.
- $200 Processing Fee
- $1,000 Refundable Deposit
Please note: As of September 2nd, 2019, a 2.75% convenience fee will be charged on all credit/debit card payments.
Fees are due at time of application submittal.
Additional Permits Required
You may also need other permits from other agencies such as Riverside County Health Department and Alcohol Beverage Control.
View the Special Event Application (PDF).
For more information contact Special Events Coordinator Melissa Houtz.